[Tango-L] A Training Scale

Lisa Battan lisa.battan at battanlaw.com
Mon Jan 10 12:47:06 EST 2011

Hi Ming Mar,

You can tell a horse is focused if he responds instantly to very light cues
or aids.  A really focused horse responds to the changes in the rider's
posture without having the rider having to make a very big movement.  The
most focused horses responds to a rider thinking a change in movement.  The
rider's imagination of the movement causes the rider's posture to shift just
enough that the horse notices it and responds appropriately.

Good connected dancing also has a telepathic quality, but not without some
effort on creating very good basics.

When you ask if I have a list of things I would like people to do, I assume
you mean this to apply to dancing.

Of course I can think of many skills I would like in a good dance partner.
Many of them are the same as the skills in the dressage training scale.  I
want my partner to be musical (rhythmic), relaxed, forward thinking, clear
and energetic in his movements, grounded, connected and dynamic (to name a
few).

We hear a lot about connection in tango, but rarely about the fundamental
skills needed to get there.

Lisa Battan
www.battanlaw.com