[Tango-L] The Australian context for copyright in OriginalTango Music

Vince Bagusauskas vytis at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 18 17:31:58 EST 2011

The short answer to your questions, if copyright still exists, then "yes" to
all of them.

>Does that mean that all of those people on Youtube that record themselves

I read something on TangoDJ where BMI I think, were pursuing and successful
in taking down videos of tango works in which they held copyright.  As
Youtube is based in the USA and USA copyright exists for 70 years after a)
1st recording b) death if the artist, then I suspect all vidoes of tango
works would be in breach under US law.  Rather than fining the offender, the
copyright holder would like to be paid, and through the various associations
educate the public to do the right thing.  Which leads me to the question,
if anyone knows of anyone on Youtube having done the right thing in terms of
tango music.