[Tango-L] Proportions

Charles Roques c.roques at mchsi.com
Tue Feb 8 13:31:49 EST 2011

Sometimes newer DJs will post a question about why there are not more milongas or waltzes to play and what is the proper balance for a good night.   No one likes a milonga of too many tangos, or all slow ones, or too much D'Arienzo, etc. nor one with too many waltzes ... is that possible? ;-)  What one hears in the milongas of Buenos Aires is a good model for that, but also a good guide can be the basic proportions of your collection.   I think the first requirement for a good DJ is being able to dance well so that whatever you play connects with you for its danceability (and of course a sensitivity to the crowd's response) and the second is having a good selection of songs.  But how to balance out the milongas and waltzes might be found in the numbers.    I noticed that the proportions of my collection of DJ songs (strictly dance, and exclusively Golden Age)  is 77% tangos, 14% milongas and 12% vals, and that is with a concerted effort over the years to find waltzes and milongas.  So I tend to use that as a guideline.  Are those roughly the same proportions of other collections?
cheers,
charles