[Tango-L] marketing survey

Ming Mar ming_mar at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 11:36:19 EST 2011

meaning of life wrote:
>here were the responses, in no particular order:
>
>1) icky music
>2) boring
>3) don't like to dance with people i don't know or don't
>like
>4) stinky old men

I thought that the same criticisms could be laid against
ballroom, but meaning of life emailed me to say that his
youngsters like ballroom.  He emphasized that the problem
was the people in tango.

>the majority reflected the above answers, but also
>commented on feeling "berated" by people trying to "teach
>them" during a practica environment

Locally, practicas are structured as drop-in lessons for
people who already dance tango.  You wouldn't take
beginners there.  The schools here have unsupervised
practices for their own students wherein (as far as I know)
they simply play music and let their students practice
dancing.  We do have a couple of bad dancers (men) who
teach at milongas.  I would be stunned to find out that
these guys go to practicas.  Practicas are for people who
want to improve their dancing or learn something.

In my experience, the tango teachers didn't evaluate their
students.  I suspect this practice was also the case in
meaning of life's area.  Bad dancers didn't know that they
sucked.  They thought they knew how to dance and weren't
shy about spreading their knowledge.  The teacher at the
practica in meaning of life's area should have told the
berating dancers that their knowledge was wrong and their
skills were in serious need of improvement.

I have a question for people who also do other dances:  Are
the non-tango people nicer than tango people?