[Tango-L] musicians and dancers at Tango Festival (and milongas BA)

Alberto Gesualdi clambat2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Aug 26 11:20:03 EDT 2011

Hi Trini, Sharukh

There is not something as "rules of engagement" written, concerning live perfomances at dancing places (milongas), in Buenos Aires.

However, we can make a triad of possible events

1) old musicians, that keep playing together , or join for a special event, or make a kind of encounter for a celebration. This is the case of Sans Souci (Calo/Maderna style), Los reyes del compas ( D arienzo style) ,Gente de tango (Di Sarli style) , Leopoldo Federico orchestra ( himself as style) , Mariano Mores orchestra) ibid. These are cases, where this " kids" of an average age of 80 years or more, join for playing upon request . This request could come from the authority of the city of Buenos Aires, or for some special events.

As far as I know, they keep playing their " oldies but goodies" tango hits, from the tango golden age in BA, the 40's and part of the 50's

2) new musicians, that assemble in orchestras, sextets, duets, trios, quartet , quintet . This is a kind of moving platform, and is very healthy to see how young musicians gathered, try sounds, and so on . Average life of this groups is 5 years or less. Or, if they keep the name of the group , their musicians are different, there are newcomers and outgoers. One case I have in mind is Color tango, when Ms Golberg left, and when their first violin came back, after 7 years, having his baby grown up ( this is a particular decision of a young man that prefer to hold his family and not his performance on a tango ensamble, it could be a case to mention)
Also El Arranque, from his early beginning as teloneros/ curtain players before the main show, change several times their musicians, I think only his counterbass is the same, the other musicians have been coming and going

3) new orchestras like Vale Tango that hit the music tango box, and perform most of the year outside BA, but come back for Xmas, to be with their beloved ones at  Home, with a big H ,as it is your town of birth if you are making the world tour .

I am not an expert on this matters, just want to mention some situations or approachs to the music that could happened. I will send separately a list of new music groups , to be more precise ( now I am tbinking on Dolores Sola and La chicana, of whom I have not been hearing from some time ago ..... but I am a little grain of sand at the shore of  tango music sea ....)

alberto