[Tango-L] Tango without music?

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Mon Apr 25 16:40:29 EDT 2011

I took a week of classes from Daniel Trenner, et al, at Tango Locura in Montreal in 1999 ( or 1998). He said (I hope I get the quote right) "To dance tango, you first have to learn how to dance. Before you can learn how to dance, you have to learn how to move. But some people go directly to dancing tango, without going through movement and dance." I also remember him saying in a vals class that you "should provoke pleasure in your partner."

Repeating from another message I wrote: If you can't dance without the music, you can't dance with the music.

Michael
I danced Argentine Tango --with the Argentines
Moving to New York

From: Nussbaum, Martin

  Totally disagree with all those who want to isolate tango instruction from the music.  The only reason to dance IS the music.  The student should learn the feel of the steps, the technique, and the movements, within the context of a phrase of tango music. Using music as the base will get the student ready for social dance quicker, because he/she will be more comfortable and familiar with the music at the milonga, and the phrasing necessary to make the experience worthwhile.  Technique without music lacks soul and emotion. it is barren.

  An over-emphasis on technique and complex combinations has led to what I call the homogenization of bland-faux-Nuevo tango in north america.  Very few performers seem connected to each other and the music, and very few couples seem concerned about telling a story in the tango music, utilizing phrasing and emotion. Even more so for
  the non-pro casual dancer, who will not last the 2000 hours of technical mastery if he cant dance to the music. Development of personal style and expression should start from the first step, not waiting for some distant time when you master the technique.