[Tango-L] Fw: Better? Worse? Just different

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Sun Apr 24 20:22:11 EDT 2011

I see things differently. Technique and musicality are two important ingredients to dancing tango. You can't learn both simultaneously. My private lessons dealt with technique followed months later with musicality. If you can't lead a figure without the music, you can't lead it with the music. I really don't understand why music is used in workshops when participants are trying to figure out how to execute the figure. Dancers learn at their own speed, and it's usually slower than the music. Playing music only leads to frustration. It's difficult to have a line of dance in a workshop when people stop in the line to figure out why something isn't working.
  Michael
  I danced Argentine Tango --with the Argentines
  Moving to New York City

    HBBOOGIE1 at aol.com wrote:

    “The Music” first you need to  learn the music second is “The Heart” you need to feel the music in your
    > heart  only then can you dance Tango

    Tango is first and last a very special form of music. Argentina is a culture of warm feelings. So much more open and expressive than Anglo-American culture. To focus on the dance and the steps is to get it entirely wrong.

    Beginners should be told to listen to the music and helped to understand the music and should be given to understand that their dancing can only develop as their understanding and appreciation of the music grows. I must confess I am pessimistic.

    Jonathan Thornton