[Tango-L] Strictly Tango

rhink2@netscape.net rhink2 at netscape.net
Sun Apr 24 12:48:37 EDT 2011

Hola Listeros,

Out of curiosity I googled "tango-l", "traditional", "nuevo" and the
following list was returned:

[Tango-L] Better? Worse? Just different
[Tango-L] My Definition of Tango Nuevo
[Tango-L] Tango's Cutural Heritage
[Tango-L] Tango Styles
[Tango-L] N.U.E.V.O.--oldies are goodies
[Tango-L] Question on 'rumour' on nuevo in BsAs
[Tango-L] Nuevo Displaces Traditional Tango in Berlin

These are the threads on Tango-L over the past couple of years that
have discussed new versus old tango.  There no doubt are more not yet
picked up by Google.

Given that A. tango is in a state of flux, the fact that this issue
comes up repeatedly is not surprising.

I would like to suggest to anyone who is interested in this issue to
view or re-view "Strictly Ballroom" an Australian movie from 1992 by
Baz Lurhman ("Moulin Rouge", "Australia", "Romeo and Juliet").  This
thoroughly entertaining movie deals directly with the conflict between
the Old Guard and new trends in the dance world.  Although the
characters are all caricatures, they are certainly recognizable as
people I have met through dance, not just but including tango.

Here are some links to give you a sampling of what I mean:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105488/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eRSGCIse7M

Bob
San Francisco