[Tango-L] Colgada milonguera

jan bares jb34528 at att.net
Thu Apr 21 16:27:00 EDT 2011

In brief: My take of the colgada as I learned it in "nuevo" classes is converting the translational momentum into a rotational momentum around a common axis. Follower is lead to step, stopped before being able to complete the step (when her momentum is at the peak) sent off her axis with the leader balancing her in opposite direction so as to create a common axis of rotation between partners. The momentum of her step then makes the couple rotate around the common axis. It can be lead from a variety of steps and in some versions the leader contributes to the momentum as well. Weight is one foot of each partner. All 4 feet may or may not be together on the floor. Good timing and practice is required so that the initial momentum is not lost.
Following this wordy intro, "Colgada milonguera" I saw first in a milonga few years ago operates on the same principle. It is, in my opinion, more demanding on the leader who has the subtle balancing job of placing the common axis of rotation between the partners who are in the close embrace. I am not aware of any video.
Jan