[Tango-L] Music: Beat, Energy, Emotion & the Embrace

RonTango rontango at rocketmail.com
Thu Apr 21 14:02:48 EDT 2011

----- Original Message ----
> From: Charles Roques <c.roques at mchsi.com>
>
> ..... one of the principal reasons that  contributes  to many dancers resorting
>to non-tango music for  dancing:  it ts easier to hear the beat in other music
>or modern  "electro-pop" tango.

That's interesting, especially since those who prefer non-tango music for
mimicking tango steps usually don't dance to the rhythm of the music. I think
what they get from the non-tango music is energy - energy for the large and
rapid movements that to them define tango.

In contrast, milonguero dancers conserve energy, keeping it inside of the
embrace, using some for movement and some for sharing emotion with their partner
in the embrace. This is hard to do at arm's length - at least sharing positive
energy. The only kind of energy that can be shared at arm's length is negative -
dragging or pushing you partner. It takes an embrace to share positive energy -
affection and romanticism.

Ron