[Tango-L] Better? Worse? Just different.

Myk Dowling politas at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 16:09:04 EDT 2011

On 16/04/11 02:29, Anton Stanley wrote:
> My last comment. If over time, I keep adding more and more sugar to my
> coffee, I'll either develop a taste for very sweet coffee or I'll stop
> drinking coffee. Extrapolate this through a tango community and you retain
> those with a sweet taste at the expense of those that don't. :)
That seems a silly analogy. Why would you keep adding more and more
sugar if it isn't to your taste?

There is a phenomenon that appears almost everywhere we look in the
world - competing forces reaching a balance. Incoming heat from the sun
is balanced by "black body" radiation to keep the Earth's temperature
relatively stable. Increasing numbers of a particular animal puts too
much pressure on their food source, leading to starvation and over time,
fairly stable population sizes. And in human culture, competing
interests generally don't lead to one interest triumphing at the expense
of the other. A balance is found.

In the end, traditional tango will only die if people stop wanting to
dance it. I certainly don't see that happening. I see new students
learning tango, some of whom want to go the nuevo route and some of whom
want the traditional style.

I tend to think of nuevo as a style within the tango umbrella, just as
Vals and Milonga are.

Myk,
in Canberra