[Tango-L] the fear of close embrace

Robert Ramsey-Turner bob.ramsey-turner at quicksilver.net.nz
Wed Sep 22 04:17:01 EDT 2010

Most none Argies are attracted to tango because of the theatrical steps and
performances they have seen in a show or movie. So that is the excitement
which brings them into to studios to learn tango, not always but that's the
way I have seen it over the last ten years.
After I had been learning tango for about 6 months from a general ballroom
dance studio which was responding to demand created by the movie "The Tango
lesson". What was being taught, well met the needs of the students, but as I
went on to find, it was one hell of a long way from the tango as danced in
the milongas in BsAs.

About six months into my tango journey, a visiting tutor from AR was
teaching a huge class of students, dancing as far apart as they could get
without losing a grip on their partners, the guys holding onto their iron
frames which they had been taught to build to be able to lead their
partners.

I can remember the AR tutor getting pretty frustrated about what he was
seeing and there were heated discussions with the studio owners.

Julio stopped the class from its dance activity and directed the class
couples to face each other, lower their arms to waist height and hold each
others elbows and to start walking in line of dance, no dance just walk.

After three tango tracks he stopped the class and instructed all couples to
put their hands behind their backs and connect with their partners with just
chest contact.

This was met with shock horror, but we had all paid lots of money for these
classes and with great reluctance complied with the instruction.

Most of us were with people we knew, so the social impact was not yet at its
peak.

After three more tracks of just walking, we were instructed to change
partners. I now had a woman who I had never met, didn't know her name or
where she was from leaning on my chest.

It was overwhelming!!

Nothing to do with sex, it was so foreign to all local social contact and
custom.

One hour later it was behind us and we started to learn tango.

Ten years later I dance simple close embrace in what's generally called
milonguero style.
When I dance, I dance for myself and my partner, I am not dancing for
attention or approval from anyone else. Though it's real nice to get a
little hand squeeze from a milonguera in BsAs and a bien, bien at the end of
a tanda.

If you are enjoying however you dance, go for it. However, if you want
bagels, go to NYC, if you want tulips and windmills go to Holland, if you
want tango, go to BsAs.
Robert

Robert Ramsey-Turner
Crown Associates Limited
Environmental Consultants
4/55B Rautawhiri Road
Helensville 0800
Auckland
New Zealand
(Office)+64 9 420 7888 (or cell) +64 27 284 6620
robertrt at woosh.co.nz