[Tango-L] the fear of close embrace

Steve Littler sl at stevelittler.com
Wed Sep 22 00:59:16 EDT 2010

  I would agree this is very correct. I would also add that in addition
to the possibility of emotional fear that beginners may have, there is
also the fear of getting stepped on by the man or stepping on the man by
the beginner who is untrained in Close Embrace. Trained leaders who
respect the dance and respect women will recognize that fact nearly
immediately and not just grab a lady tight to him.

In beginner group classes or practicas, if I go to dance with a lady who
is new, I respect that and don't just grab her close to me. Close
embrace must be taught and learned and if she hasn't had training in
that and become comfortable in it yet, I respect that and just dance
open and give her a clear lead so she can have success learning her role
in the dance for that lesson.

At a milonga, I usually wouldn't dance with a lady until she is advanced
enough to dance well in close embrace and has a nice walk. (Exception
would be if the milonga is VERY lightly attended and she is getting few
or no dances but seems eager to try. And then I still wouldn't be just
grabbing her close against her will.)

El Stevito de Gainesville