[Tango-L] The Basics

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Tue Sep 21 02:28:33 EDT 2010

On 21/09/2010 05:14, Shahrukh Merchant wrote:
> That's an interesting twist ... which one could reformulate to the
> effect that, "Since dancing (well) in close embrace is harder than
> dancing in open embrace [no argument from me there],

I'm not sure I completely agree.

It may be harder to dance in close embrace, but
I'd tend to think it's harder to dance *well* in any kind of open
embrace (even those with fairly limited room).

I.e. any error sticks out like a sore thumb when you dance in
close embrace. But you can sort of limp along in an open "not-
embrace" and think you're doing fine when, in fact, you're not,
which makes it harder to dance *well* (with a good connection
and in unison with your partner and the music).

And let's face it, it's easier to have an open "not-embrace"
(in which the partners disconnect whenever there's
an error) than to have a close "not-embrace".

That's why *even* in an "open" embrace I never like too much
room, but just enough for exactly the movement I have in
mind: too much room (both between partners and on the floor)
is room to sweep errors under the carpet, and while you may
end up in the general direction of where you want to go, it
may not actually feel nor look right (to a trained eye, although
to an untrained eye the smoke and mirrors may still look
impressive).