[Tango-L] The Basics

JOHN WROBLEWSKI nrj.sparrow at prodigy.net
Sat Sep 18 16:28:19 EDT 2010

There is a mathematical distance function between two object that if the distance between the two objects is sufficiently long enought( eg the open embrace)the interdependency (or the dependance of one on the other) is negated. That, is there is no measureable reliance  of posture and balance on each other..In other words, you might as well be dancing with yourself.

> Some people may choose to teach only close embrace.

It has been my observation that many people who dance exclusivity in a
close embrace have issues with posture and balance, of which they are
not aware. The ability to control one's own position and change of
axis without the crutch of using the partner as support makes for a
much better dancer, and the practice of dancing in an open embrace
makes these skills more evident.

Whether one choses to dance open or closed during a milonga depends on
the music, the partner, the venue and the space available, as well as
personal preference. However, IMHO possessing the skill sets required
to dance both open and closed make a better dancer, dancing any shape
of embrace.

> Some people may choose to teach only close embrace.

It has been my observation that many people who dance exclusivity in a
close embrace have issues with posture and balance, of which they are
not aware. The ability to control one's own position and change of
axis without the crutch of using the partner as support makes for a
much better dancer, and the practice of dancing in an open embrace
makes these skills more evident.

Whether one choses to dance open or closed during a milonga depends on
the music, the partner, the venue and the space available, as well as
personal preference. However, IMHO possessing the skill sets required
to dance both open and closed make a better dancer, dancing any shape
of embrace.

YMMV
Brick in San Diego.