[Tango-L] basics - "swayback" & "around-the-lower-back-grip" in followers - origins?

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 20 03:19:07 EDT 2010

----- Original Message ----
> From: Brian Dunn <brianpdunn at earthlink.net>
>
> Potential functional advantages of an arm-around-the-leader's-waist
> embrace:
>
> As long as we're discussing style, I invite similar non-judgmental
> speculation on how the "waiter-serving-drinks" horizontal position of the
> leader's left hand may have evolved - I have my own theories ;)

Haha, I have both of these 'errors' and they evolved to correct other errors.

I keep my right hand low, around the lady's waist, because it helps me to
relax my right shoulder, which had a habit of tensing and lifting.

And my left hand is horizontal because I had a habit of exerting forward
pressure with that hand.

And, yes, I know I shouldn't substitute one error for another but, in my
defence, both changes were made to make things more comfortable for
my partner :-)

Btw, my opinion on the reason for the 'swayback' is beacause ladies want
close embrace with a firm chest-to-chest contact but are afraid of putting
any weight on the man.

Jack