[Tango-L] the fear of close embrace

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 20 01:53:33 EDT 2010

In my experience, it's very difficult to find ... "traveling teachers who
insistently teach solid, clean basics". That's because most {all?]
traveling teachers are also performers and they don't dance social
tango.

And what's more basic than the embrace? I've been to Buenos Aires
where pretty much all the ladies in the milongas drape their left arm
around the man's shoulders. But In my community there's now an
epidemic amongst the ladies to adopt an embrace where her left
hand is in the middle of the man's back or even lower. They copy
this from the traveling teachers.

But, surely, it needs 2 to make an embrace and now it feels like
I'm embracing the lady but she's not embracing me. All the 'feeling'
is gone.

Jack