[Tango-L] Basics

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Sun Sep 19 18:55:04 EDT 2010

On 20/09/2010 00:26, Mario wrote:
>   I respectfully disagree with all of the above....an 'explanation'
 > of what is being taught isn't going to stop the total mystification
 > of the student.....

I have a hard time parsing this and understanding what you meant by
this.

If you explain something properly, then (almost by definition)
you aren't going to mystify anyone. And I wasn't advocating
teaching everything and umpteen different styles (in fact,
I was arguing the opposite), simply advocating explaining
the rationale behind one's own selection of what to teach
(i.e. conscious decision to teach a coherent set of things
out of the possible things and styles to teach).

Just so that people would know that if someone else does
something different or has learned something else, they're
not automatically "wrong" ("corrupted, decadent, part of
the barbarian hordes bringing an end to civilisation")
and you are "right". You might both be right, and with
some more years of dancing, you might even understand
why.

Is your position that somehow *not* explaining this is
going to somehow enlighten people, because if you explain it
properly, they're  not experienced enough to understand and
it might be "dangerous"?