[Tango-L] Basics

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 19 18:26:38 EDT 2010

""I'm not in favour of "fencing in" anyone just
because you assume he¹ "can't handle" something else.
I find that a thoroughly paternalistic attitude, especially
if you are saying he need to be "tracked" into one form;
even beginners are not cattle.

Of course, you can't confuse the heck out of beginners
by mixing different styles in beginner courses, but
you *can* limit yourself to one style without closing
people's minds, by explaining exactly what style you're
teaching and why you made certain choices.

Tell them that you aren't "tracking" them into anything
(which is coercive), but that you're just growing
their knowledge by starting from a small kernel and
extending around it (rather than "jumping all over
the place" in the object space).""

 I respectfully disagree with all of the above....an 'explanation' of what is
being taught isn't going to stop the total mystification of the
student....."hmmmm,  but I explained".....yeah right.
 this whole ideal of 'not fencing in' a new student and helping them 'learn' and
'grow' is at the heart of the degradation of the present-day dance outside of
BsAs.  ...all in my own opinion, of course.

 Speaking from my own experience, it wasn't until I simplified and fine tuned
the focus DOWN to a few figures and a few basics that I was able to, for the
first time, understand the dance as a whole and actually begin to dance it as a
complete entity.  And today, almost two years after that first discovery
(watching the dance of Beto and Amalya) I am now simplifying it even more.....of
course I added something and am now slimming it down again..
 I entirely agree that teaching different styles before the traditional style is
learned is to do a giant dis service to the student ...to confuse, and mystify
them while their traditional basics are corrupted...and to keep them coming back
for more and more classes.
www.theopendoorway.org/audiovisual.html
www.mario7.deviantart.com/
www.youtube.com/user/nacotete