[Tango-L] basics

sherpal1@aol.com sherpal1 at aol.com
Sun Sep 19 16:49:17 EDT 2010

I'm pretty sure this posture & embrace is a fashion
among women, that ordinary women dancers learn
from the "alpha" females (teachers or performers).
It's a women's fashion in the same sense that platform
shoes are a women's fashion: what the men think doesn't
count for much, it's what other women think of it.

It's quite recent too, I never saw it 10 years ago
and started to become common where I live (US)
maybe only 5 years ago. I wonder who started it?

> For some reason, most male tango teachers do not pick up on
> this one very basic element of good female posture.

I don't think there's much that male teachers can do
about it. It's going to persist until the well-known
female teachers and performers start doing something
else. I'll be glad when that happens, unless they
invent something even more awful ....

this is a fascinating post:   Alpha female dancers..you may be right..but if you youtube any great BA female dancers you will not see this phenomenon....they simply don't dance sway back with clamped arms around the man....it is inauthentic.....maybe your community alpha females dance like this..but as i said, one good BA female teacher would stop this in its tracks....

Fashion...this is interesting..who creates the fashion....this corruption, really, this not learned technique...women doing what they want, rather than what men, leads, want...help me to understand this ...i can understand interleading...where the woman takes a little more control over the interpretation of the dance...but controlling it....I am baffled...helop