[Tango-L] basics

sherpal1@aol.com sherpal1 at aol.com
Sat Sep 18 10:40:21 EDT 2010

Loisa writes:
>Bring in traveling teachers who insistently teach solid,
>clean basics!

What are these solid, clean basics?  What are the
consequences of not being able to do these basics?

The consequences are that you cannot follow a good lead.  If you are not taught what an ocho is, a boleo, an amague, proper foot placement, good walking, a firm embrace, you will not be able to be lead well.  Even though tango is a lead follow dance, the follow needs to know good technique for steps so that she can properly execute them when the lead initiates the steps.

 Something that is becoming viral in female dancers in our community is the sway back posture, where their chest is thrust forwards and their pelvis is tilted backwards, rather than tilted in a neutral position.  In my opinion, one good female tango teacher would stop this inappropriate posture immediately which if not corrected will prevent the woman from advancing in her skills and will cause her some real back problems down the road.

For some reason, most male tango teachers do not pick up on this one very basic element of good female posture.

Sherrie