[Tango-L] Fwd: the fear of close embrace

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Thu Sep 16 20:10:29 EDT 2010

On 17/09/2010 00:43, Ellen L. Saunders wrote:
> In BA a milonga is a social event where everyone is politely seated to
 > enjoy an evening with friends. It is not an athletic competition for
 > show offs.

That's a valid lament: outside of BsAs there isn't the same
distinction between a "practica" and a "milonga" (although to be
fair some people who've recently been to BsAs tell me that
while the distinction does exist, you can't actually trust
the *name*).

Pet peeve: "teaching/lecturing" at a milonga, in the middle
of the ronda. I sometimes really can't understand why the unfortunate
(usually female) vistim doesn't kick the offender where it hurts.

But I think a milonga (in the same venerable tradition as
the "thé dansant" and "bal-musette"), alas, has become
quite an alien concept in many of the current "rat-race"
and quite competitive cultures. People just don't "grok"
the concept any longer.

Ah - sipping a tea in the "Pianofabriek" while Alfredo Marcucci
and his orchestra (including Eva Wolff) was playing music in
perfect symbiosis with the dancers,...sadly, even here much
that is left are mere memories.