[Tango-L] On locusts and floorcraft

edgecombe_r@optusnet.com.au edgecombe_r at optusnet.com.au
Sat Oct 30 23:09:50 EDT 2010

Recently, and as it happened, just after a lengthy tango-L thread on
floorcraft and the lack thereof, I listened to a discussion (ABC Big
Ideas program), on the behaviour of locusts.  Briefly, locusts are not
generally gregarious, but in certain conditions the population increases
dramatically, forcing them into close proximity. Initially their
behaviour is chaotic movement. However, when the crowding reaches a
threshold, they suddenly start moving in concert ..  parallel movement
in-the-same-direction, and the swarm is on the move.

Studies, involving both simulation and monitoring of swarm behaviour,
suggest that this is not caused by some grand plan, nor by any
follow-the-leader mentality, but by each individual locust having a
couple of simple rules. Basically they are conscious of, and cooperate
with, individuals within 100-200 mm. (8 inches?). That's it.

The contrast with a typical milonga was obvious.

Someone, during the abovementioned  tango-L floorcraft discussion,
commented
of tanguero behaviour, "smarter than your average bear". Perhaps "dumber
than your average locust" may be more apt?

Or perhaps, we just have yet to reach the magic threshold?

In the same direction? Wow!