[Tango-L] introducing the cabeceo (card)

Balazs Gyenis gyepi at hps.elte.hu
Sun Oct 17 13:32:21 EDT 2010

> The real issue, here, is that your friend doesn’t seem to respect herself to tell a man “no”.
  Thanks Trini.
  I'm sure these are all good advices, although they sound to me a bit
disconcerting in this context. An analogy may help. Suppose you bring
your children to a new school. As it turns out students of this school
do worse than students of other schools. You wander about the reasons
and figure that the environment in the new school is way more
stressful than in other places; say, there is a very loud ongoing
construction nearby and your kids also mention you they often can't
really hear what the teacher says. And so you venture maybe it would
be a good idea to close the windows, and you propose this to the
teacher. The teacher looks into your eyes and says: you know, the real
solution is that your kids should study harder; if they did they would
do better. Is this a general good advice which could also help them in
the rest of their life? Yes. Does this invalidate the concern about
the open window? No. Is it helpful to imply that the kid is "at fault"
somehow? Hell no.
  Yours,

      Gy.B.

--
Balazs Gyenis
Department of History and Philosophy of Science, University of Pittsburgh