[Tango-L] floor craft -2

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 04:04:47 EDT 2010

----- Original Message ----
> From: Sandhill Crane <grus.canadensis at yahoo.com>
>
> A phenomenon that I've observed at festivals in the US
> (saw it just this last weekend in Portland) is that a
> solid line forms at the edge of the floor, and the
> rest of the floor is more sparsely filled.

I've heard some teachers tell their students ... "always dance
around the edge of the floor, i.e in the ronda; never dance in
the middle". But, IMO, this isn't necessarily correct.

Some people just don't belong in the ronda, eg. beginners who
haven't yet developed the necessary skills to improvise on any
given step and others, often skilled dancers, who want to dance
more fancy figures that take up a lot of space and those who
want to dance Nuevo.

In Buenos Aires, I've noticed a certain hierarchy, with the best
dancers [especially milongueros] in the outer ronda. Less skilled
dancers would be in the inner ronda with beginners in the middle
of the floor.

Jack