[Tango-L] THE important consideration in dancing different 'styles' (Bob) of Arg. Tango

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Tue Oct 5 17:00:05 EDT 2010

On 05/10/2010 22:35, rhink2 at netscape.net wrote:
> Regarding the issue of how styles originate, I believe that all dancers
> have their own style.  Every tanguero and tanguera has a unique set
> of tango moves, not necessarily tango figures, with which they feel
> comfortable and from which they are served in "moving to the music".

Not only moves. Posture, walk, the way the dance breathes and
articulates phrases, you name it, it can all differ.

 > New styles help to keep interest in tango high especially
 > among newer, younger dancers.

As far as I'm concerned you don't even need "new" styles for
that. There are countless styles even from the "old guard",
and being taught by Tete couldn't have been more different
than being taught by Pepito.

It's actually a sad affair that as a reaction to what some
perceive as a monolithic "nuevo tango" block (that is, in
fact, not homogeneous at all either; not everyone is a clone
of Gustavo Naveira and Fabián Salas), they have to retroactively
define a "Traditional Tango" as if it had been chiselled
out of a single stone (so much so that even Copes and Zotto
are being left out to dry as almost-not-tango, and are reduced
to their tango stage performances).