[Tango-L] Line of dance and respect

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Tue Oct 5 16:51:02 EDT 2010

On 05/10/2010 20:08, HBBOOGIE1 at aol.com wrote:
> Now do you believe it?

As I said, no. You need to have religious faith in
order to think that the site convincingly "demonstrates"
a tango style was born with the sole purpose to destroy
the ronda.

Incidentally, the site is *good*, but errs in thinking
that there is only one solution to some biomechanical
problems. It also uses pure judgement calls to determine
which walks and solutions are "in the line" or "out of
the line" - this looks good but it's creepy, and it
doesn't feel like tango! This looks good, must feel
good, but it isn't social tango! Nothing more
than dogma as far as I'm concerned (even though the
actual "one solution" theory is fairly self-consistent
and the web site admirably expresses it).

As far as I'm concerned, a style not unlike Pablo
Pugliese's (not his rather playful staccato showpiece on Di
Sarli, of course, but his "normal" dancing) is perfectly
useable at milonga's, and so is his walk -- a walk, by
the way, with some pieces that you can find Pepito
Avellaneda using as well (he certainly didn't have The Walk
as Revealed by the Scriptures of the Web Site).

And given that it's all branded "out of the line"
according to the author, it is a different style, regardless
of the author's insistence that there are Only Two Styles
and That the Rest is a Myth.

I would indeed hesitate to emulate Gustavo in the more egregious
examples on a crowded dance floor.

But for a man that isn't convinced that dark matter
necessarily exists and that some form of
modified Newtonian dynamics might possibly
in the end prove to be a better model than dark
matter -- even though the standard model is of
course standard because it tends to be fairly
internally consistent -- I'll need more than this
to "believe" it ;).