[Tango-L] Line of dance and respect

HBBOOGIE1@aol.com HBBOOGIE1 at aol.com
Tue Oct 5 13:58:03 EDT 2010

Welcome to Kung Fu Tango. This is the person  that started the whole Nuevo
craze and then years later apologized for it. Here  is step by step
instruction on how to dominate and disrupt the traditional  floor.
Now you might understand why real tango dancers tend to get  a  little
upset and frustrated.
http://www.tangoandchaos.org/chapt_6school/36nav3.htm

In a message  dated 10/5/2010 10:02:17 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
al at sgi.com writes:
On  05/10/2010 18:27, HBBOOGIE1 at aol.com wrote:
> Yes and No…. Any  dancer  can slow up or stop the line of dance regardless
> of what style he’s  dancing however some styles are danced to specifically
> disrupt the line  of  dance.

Ah? Styles exist to *specifically* disrupt the line of  dance? In other
words, they specifically mandate you should disrupt the line  of dance?

If you think it applies to any style that has received a label,  I'd
like to see documentary evidence of that stated aim ;).

I  personally don't believe it. Teachers and dancers may not have been
taught  any awareness of the ronda, but that doesn't mean their *style*
is danced  specifically to disrupt the line of dance. It's usually
(when danced in a  social context) an unfortunate by-product of what
they think is "important",  of their teacher's teaching style or of
the local culture, and in that way  divorced from the actual  style.
Tango-L mailing  list
Tango-L at mit.edu