[Tango-L] Right hand lead?

Jay Rabe jayrabe at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 22 13:10:44 EST 2010

My very first Argentine instructor that came to Portland in 98 (Manuel
Ortiz - haven't heard from him since) taught right hand lead. I'm with
Trini & others that I'm glad it's out of fashion as an emphasis or
core principle. That said, I also agree with Sergio (I think) that said
that, when done gently/correctly, it's effective and not at all
uncomfortable for the follower.

I suspect that whenever a new young instructor uses a term about
directing "energy," eg. down through the followers left leg/foot, a
sensitive tranducer would be able to measure an actual force through the
 right hand. It may be grams, small fractions of an ounce, but certainly
 a sensitive follower will feel it, even if it's below her conscious
awareness. But the intuitive nature of following allows even such subtle
 cues to be responded to.

In net, I agree that leading (as well as following) requires a
whole-body involvement, and the right hand is an indispensable part of
that. It's often been discussed here about the exercise with the leader
making no right hand or arm contact. While it's unquestionably an
excellent exercise in training a leader to move his torso as the main
component of the lead, it's also acknowledged that it's very difficult,
even for experienced leaders & followers to dance this way. So when
you start using your right arm again after such an exercise, you first
should be mindful of using a minimum amount of right hand force, but
second you may be able to get a glimpse of the oh-so subtle hand/arm
movements that you do use, and the contribution they make to an organic
whole-body leading movement.