[Tango-L] Some thoughts on connection

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 15 02:51:10 EST 2010

> From: Pat Petronio petronio at adam.com.au

> "Leading" & "following" can create a different mindset to "inviting" &
>"responding", >

I'm uncomfortable with both of these terminologies. 'Leading and following'
seems

to imply that there's a concious lead by the man, which the lady recognises and
then follows. But, in reality, both happen simultaneously and, with correct
technique,
are built-in to the dance. The man 'Inviting' seems to imply that the lady then
has a

choice to either accept or decline, which, surely, isn't the case.

The simplest example is the walk. It seems that I merely walk forward, with my
initial

movement coming from the torso and the lady walks backward with her initial
movement

coming from her foot. But I don't feel any leading or inviting - we're simply
walking together

and, if I stop the movement of my torso, the lady stops the movement of her foot
and waits

for whatever comes next. Or am I being too simplistic?

A teacher once told me that there is no lead and follow; the man dances his
dance and

the lady accompanies him with her dance. This is assuming both know how to
dance.

Jack