[Tango-L] Tango's Cultural Heritage

Romero Migdalia migrom at nyc.rr.com
Mon May 24 22:59:11 EDT 2010

There is a reason why so many women go to Buenos Aires to dance
tango.   The embrace is, for me, the quintessential draw, as is the
connection with my partner and the silent communication that ensues
when the connection is right.  I just finished writing a book
entitled "Tango Lover's Guide to Buenos Aires" that covers all the
tango resources in the city.  More importantly, however, is the
book's focus on defining the culture associated with the dance, and
describing the essential features of the dance in Buenos Aires that
differentiate it from what is danced (as many of you have pointed
out) in other parts of the world.  There is an attitude, a history,
and a connection to the music that old milongueros bring to the dance
that draws women into their aura.   I have seen that embrace and that
connection to partner and music, even among the younger dancers in
Buenos Aires.  Sure there are clubs that promote variation.  But the
"Campeonato Mundial" of tango held in BsAs in August still has
standards for tango salon that include the unbroken embrace, the
connection to one's partner, and the attention to and interpretation
of the music.  It could be that people all over the world need the
human touch and need to be hugged and so they dance tango and even
travel halfway around the world to look for both.   Even in cultures,
where distance is the norm, "el abrazo" allows them that freedom to
touch and be hugged in a public arena.