[Tango-L] Why are you dancing tango if you don't like tango?

AJ Azure azure.music at verizon.net
Fri May 7 19:20:33 EDT 2010

>> As I said, there are good an bad bands.
>
>      I have yet to hear an American tango band attempting to play the
> tango classics that can come anywhere even close to the Golden Age
> bands.  Not even remotely.

So then of course that means you've heard them all and then there can't be
anything but, what your mind perceives. You are after all the final word.
Doesn't that sound ridiculous?

>> There's that elitist attitude rearing its' ugly head.
>
>      Having taste and a musical ear is elitist?  Then I guess some of
> us are guilty.

Taste does not mean fanatical purist elitism which are the traits being
displayed and referred to.

Oh and in case you're under any self delusion a musical ear does not in fact
make you musician.

>> Some musicians certainly play for themselves but,
>
>      Such as Piazzola, who was once quoted as saying, "F*** the
> dancers."  Exquisite musician, however.

Sheesh you certainly have a chip on your shoulder about Piazzolla. Let it
go. We're removing that from the equation by prequalifying that a musician
who comes to the table to work with dancers will not do Piazzolla. Although,
you know a properly arranged (towards a golden age style) Piazzolla tune
could be danceable and not be any form of neo or nuevo.

>> You'll never really find a group you like if you first assume you won't like
>> them.
>
>       Now that makes no logical sense at all.  There is always room
> for the element of pleasant surprise.

If you're willing to be surprised.

_A