[Tango-L] Why are you dancing tango if they are not playing tango?

AJ Azure azure.music at verizon.net
Fri May 7 17:44:41 EDT 2010

Nothing wrong with having reasonable realistic standards.
As for being able to predict the next footstep because you're used to a
pre-recorded piece, you've just mentioned the most boring aspect of dancing.
Predictability. That's a dance routine.
Take Piazzolla out of the picture. Let's assume you can get the right songs
played. However, if you're looking for specific era arrangements (there's
that boring predictably) then you should supply them. Musicians can do
justice to these songs and have input in their arrangements and they can
still be traditional and quite danceable. What you're asking for is a carbon
copy tribute band. Those are pretty boring.
If you look at the live music experience as one that should duplicate the DJ
experience you're looking for the wrong thing.

The relationship between live music and dancers is an ongoing improvised
collaboration. It involves mutual respect.

As for the instruments, that really depends. There are ways to have
bandoneon tonality with out a bandoneon and electric guitars can sound ok if
used properly.

The first is an open mind and shedding the cliche mentality.
-A