[Tango-L] Why are you dancing tango if you don't like tango?

Huck Kennedy tempehuck at gmail.com
Fri May 7 17:13:27 EDT 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 12:05 AM, Alexis Cousein <al at sgi.com> wrote:
> On 06/05/2010 04:32, Huck Kennedy wrote:
> > AJ Azure <azure.music at verizon.net> wrote:
>>> You'll never really find a group you like if you first assume you won't like
>>> them.
>>
>>        Now that makes no logical sense at all.  There is always room
>> for the element of pleasant surprise.
>
> The fact of the matter (and why it is indeed logical) is that you
> don't find a flower blooming on earth you've just scorched.

     Thank you so much for correcting me on how my own brain works
after all these years.  Where would I be without you?

> Those kinds of "surprises" don't happen.

     And now to dispense with your presumptuousness on this point
altogether:  Try watching the video of Suan Boyle's original
performance on Britain's Got Talent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

We all know how Simon Cowell scorns everything and everyone from
seeing him in action on American Idol.  You can see the same
prejudicial scorn on his face and the faces of the other judges as a
rather plain and dowdy woman of a certain age comes onto the state and
announces she wants to be a singer.  The judges, and even most of the
audience, are all expecting the usual flop one might be prejudiced to
expect from such an unlikely contestant (who obviously must be daft to
be up there on the stage at her age), and of course--according to you,
who apparently knows it all, there is just no way these judges can
possibly be open to any sort of pleasant surprise.  They've already
scorched the Earth, donchaknow.  But come to find out--gosh, the big
mean Simon Cowell and the rest of them melt into adoring kittens once
they hear the woman's voice.

     Do you want to tell us anymore about what can't happen, or "the
fact of the matter," or are you done?

Huck