[Tango-L] Tango Marathon Directory is now in beta!

De Gentile Benoit EXT Benoit.DeGentile at iter.org
Tue Mar 16 20:48:47 EDT 2010

I can confirm what Daniel answered to Trini about Tango Marathons, as far as I could notice from our first marathon in Marseille (France) during the latest week-end.

Attendance was varying from 160 persons (10pm-3am) to 80 persons (3pm-7pm) and 30 persons (6am-10am) during two days and half. One third of dancers were Marathons fans coming from different countries in Europe. With a high dance skill, a very high level of attention to the music, most of them did not select close or open embrace as they continuously switched from one to the other. The other dancers were "normal", mainly dancing in close embrace style.

The floor area was 160 square meters, that means that we were at the level such as ballroom begins to be dense (as felt in Europe). In those conditions, we could observe that everything went smoothly despite differences between dancing styles or energies, thanks to the mutual respect observed among dancers. "Smoothly" means: I experienced 5 or 6 bumping within 28 hours of dancing.

Last but not the least: the music played was very classical (40's, 30's) except a couple of "nuevo" or "alternative" tandas during morning sessions (7am-10am).

Benoit