[Tango-L] Recognizing Tango Music

Myk Dowling politas at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 14:42:08 EDT 2010

On 10/06/10 04:28, Trini y Sean (PATangoS) wrote:
> One thing he says about the accompaniment is that it is a consequence of the melody.  Thus, if someone called him and said that he had written a typical waltz but needed an accompaniment, Salgan could basically whip it up without hearing the melody.  However, if the caller said that he needed a tango accompaniment, Salgan would need to hear the melody first.  He describes this special relationship between melody and the accompaniment as being unique compared to other genres of music.

He's at least partially wrong. As someone who plays accompaniment to
other forms of dance music, I always fit my accompaniment to the rhythms
of the melody. I _could_ lay down a bland repetitive rhythm that ignores
the melody, but I wouldn't be asked back to play with a group if I did that.

In fact, there are several folk dances that are specifically fitted to
the rhythms of a particular melody, so any accompaniment that fails to
match the melody would actively harm the dancers ability to perform the
dance, in a way that would be even more destructive than doing the same
thing to a tango melody.

Myk,
in Canberra