[Tango-L] The Time before Tango

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 4 00:46:08 EDT 2010

> From: RonTango rontango at rocketmail.com

>In Buenos Aires,
> the birthplace of tango, near the end of the 19th century, there was milonga and
> there was the vals brought from Europe by immigrants, but there was no tango.

There appear to be different historical versions of this. My understanding is that
milonga music predates tango - but only as music and song, without dance.
And that milonga, as a dance, came after tango.

Also, as I understand it, tango was well established by the end of the 19th century
so I don't understand your statement that there was "no tango" near the end of the
19th century.

Now that Tango has been declared an 'intangible cultural heritage', I think the first
thing that should be done is for a group of tango scholars to write the definitive
history of Tango.

Jack