[Tango-L] Bachatango et al.

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 2 16:00:25 EDT 2010

I'll be honest.  There are times when people do ballroom to ballroom music at a milonga and I laugh, which probably says more about my snobbishness about tango than it does about them.

I think it's useful to think of these other dances or alternative tangos in the context of an overall milonga.  If an entire dance event was only of tangos (no vals, no milongas), then that event would likely be less satisfying than an event with vals and milongas.  Milongas and vals are there to provide a different flavor and create a little color.  They are good in small doses.

I can see that for the right audience, something like bachatango or kizomba would provide the same thing that ballroom music or salsa or the chacarena does at a milonga.  It would, of course, have to come in an even smaller dose than vals or milonga.

Trini de Pittsburgh

P.S.  I'll be in Dallas this weekend.  Hope to meet any Dallas listeros at the milonga on Saturday.