[Tango-L] The single best milonga environment in the US!

Tanguero tanguero at tanguero.com
Sun Jul 18 14:46:39 EDT 2010

Dear Everyone:

I have danced (taught and performed) throughout the US for somewhere around
20 years and therefore I truly do have a basis for comparison regarding
venues. I have danced pretty much every night of my life (including after
performing).

Tuesday night (7/6) I stopped in to a new milonga in Manhattan: The Parlor
at Professor Thom's Bar and Restaurant, 219 2nd Avenue between 13th and 14th
Streets. What could be more "tango" then the adventure of moving past a
black curtain and ascending a hidden staircase in a Victorian-style,
brownstone and discovering, upstairs, the most positively wonderful space
with old fashioned (electrified) gas lights, centrally located full bar, an
outdoor terrace, a conjoined conversational and/or practica area and
throughout, THE best dance floor. Each week there are different guest DJs -
- and NYC offers up so many that are truly fantastic.

I have not been a promoter for many years. I simply had to share this
discovery - - in my own self-interest so I can look forward for years to
come to dancing in this really special milonga. It reminds me of what it
felt like 20 years ago when I was amongst the very few non-Argentines
ferreting out the "secret" milongas frequented by the Argentines, the ones
that were in unexpected places and transported all of us to by-gone times.

All best,

Loreen