[Tango-L] Cruzada in other dances?

johnofbristol@tiscali.co.uk johnofbristol at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jul 16 03:22:30 EDT 2010

In the lock step (used in all ballroom dances) both partners cross at
the same time. In the reverse turn of the Viennese waltz each partner
crosses alternately, the one in the centre of the turn doing the cross.
The quick open reverse has a complete 360 degree turn in one bar, the
follower crossing on the last step. This looks like the two-bar reverse
turn of the Viennese waltz crammed into one bar, but according the the
histories it was originally a foxtrot variation.

As has been said, none of these crosses are lingered over. But in the
swivel, used in foxtrot and ballroom tango, the leader crosses right
over left, while the follower does what we would recognise as an ocho.
I hesitate to say this is the ballroom version of the ocho, as I heard
once that the AT ocho didn't appear till the 1940's. If this is true,
the influence may be the other way round.

John Ward
Bristol, UK