[Tango-L] Basic

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Wed Jul 7 20:46:32 EDT 2010

Yes.

It is important to add the idea that you need to be good, DAMNED GOOD,
with walking, ochos, giros/sacadas (Turns, not greek sandwiches!),
music.

In fact, if you are really good at those things, cool moves and
workshops are really easy. If you aren't really good with those
things, then you are wasting a $30 "master workshop" and the teachers
have to slow down the class and dumb down the material.

To be a little rude, if you think this doesn't apply to you, it
probably does.

I also want to give a shout out to LOCAL TEACHERS. You get good at the
basics through lots and lots of repetition, week after week, in group
classes, practices and private lesson with someone better than you.

On Jul 7, 2010, at 6:36 PM, Keith Elshaw wrote:

> I pressed "send" by mistake!
>
> Walking, ochos, gyros. With the music.
>
> So many people learn all the fancy stuff on top of that they they
> never
> learn the real basics.
>
> If the above three were all you knew and could do well, you could
> dance
> all night with anybody in the world (except people who had been
> "taught"
> how to "dance tango)."

Tom Stermitz
http://www.tango.org