[Tango-L] re self proclaimed teachers. If we can't lick them teach them (long)

Huck Kennedy tempehuck at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 21:33:37 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 11:20 PM, Jack Dylan <jackdylan007 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Competition is just a fact in almost any aspect of life, including
> Tango. Aren't many [not all] already competing with their fellow
> dancers, trying to improve so that they can 'win' tandas with their
> partners of choice?

     Yes, it is competition, but it is very personal and
individualized.  Different people prefer different partners for
various reasons.  This is not the same as putting a number on your
back and competing for a trophy.

> And, as ageneral rule, competition brings about improvements;
> why not in Tango?

     Competition can bring about improvement, but there are so many
other ways to achieve the same end without incurring the negative
aspects of competition, the worst of which is the lessening of
individual style in favor of meeting some arbitrary cookie-cutter
"standard."

     One of the best traits of Argentine tango is that every good
dancer has his or her own individual style.  Competition stifles this.

Huck