[Tango-L] Confiteria tango - origin of the name

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 18 16:52:59 EST 2010

IMO - Most Argentines like Alberto explains with respect to Carmencita Calderon only talk about Tango Salon, (the one danced socially) and Tango de Escenario (the one on stage).

http://www.todotango.com/english/creadores/ccalderon.asp

Carmencita Calderon born in 1905, died in 2005. She was a regular dancer in my neighborhood of Villa Urquiza.
I saw her many times at club "sin Rumbo" where I used to go to learn to dance from Lampazo (Jose Vazquez).
I had the honor to attend the cellebration of her 100th bithday.  The paarty took place in Parque Saavedra, she recited a poem by heart and danced tango for us. She died a few months later. She was

The transformation of tango as explained by Charles Roques ocurred early in the 20th century when tango was finally accepted by the mid and high classes.  This is reflected in Tango lyrics that talk about Cabarets in downtown, Garconieres, bulines (apartments owned to have dances and partys), etc.

Later on, perhaps in the mid fifties, tango had adapted itself to the crowded floors downtown, attend'"ed by singles looking for amorous adventures. Here people could dance very close.

In the neighborhoods on the other hand dances in clubs were attended by families and the dance was close but required some "light" between the dancers.

The salon style typical of downtown received different names: Caquero (lunfardo for petimetre) a reference to the elegance of the dancers that were very careful with the way they dressed following the last fashions in clothing.

Petitero (dandy) http://www.hermanotango.com.ar/LetrasTangos/PETITERO.htm

         http://diccionario.babylon.com/PETITERO

A reference to the elegance but also the lean figure and eagerness to impress with posture and refined language.

The words Caquero and petitero are no longer in use.

Del centro : a reference to the downtown area milongas.

Club or Confiteria: a reference to the places downtown where those milongas took place.

I remember when in the USA one day I was with Daniel Lapadula who was planning to return to B.A. and start teaching his particular style on TV.

We were discussing the different names of that style, finally he opted for "Del Centro".  He did with great success and issued a set of CDs. with his style "Del Centro".

Best regards, Sergio