[Tango-L] Back to the 8CB

Tango22 tango22 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 19:05:35 EST 2010

Not being a fan of the 8cb, I got to wondering where it came from.
Not so much who came up with it, or when; but why, and does it make
any sense?

Then it struck me.

The 8cb follows the structure of tango music, in that tango is
composed in phrases of 8 beats, with the phrases arranged in
particular sequences.  Each phrase ends with a pause or a signal.
This structure is carefully explained in Amenabar's book "Dance Tango
to the Music" (currently only available in Australia, NZ and Europe).
Amenabar is currently touring Europe and will be touring Australia in
July where he will conduct "music for dance" workshops for the Milonga
Para Los Niños charity ball.

So the 8cb may have some value, in that it encourages the beginner to
dance the phrases of the music, pausing at the end of each, or some
phrases.  The problem in my experience is that (a) beginners "lock in"
to the sequence and find it an extremely difficult habit to break and,
(b) most dancers and teachers do not understand the structure of the
music or how to recognise the phrasing.  I find it more convenient to
impart this knowledge in a series of listening and simple walking
exercises rather than a fixed sequence because students, especially
beginners, do not have to concentrate on two things at once and it
avoids the "lock-in" habit.

It is very important for teachers of Tango to have a clear
understanding of the structure of Tango music and to impart to their
students the ability to hear (and dance to) the phrasing.  Without the
ability to interpret and dance to the music (phrasing) it is difficult
to progress beyond a flat, dull dance.

Tomorrow it's Saturday.  Let's dance.
John