[Tango-L] Tango-L Digest, Vol 46, Issue 7

John Lowry john at lowry.com.au
Thu Jan 7 19:20:41 EST 2010

Tom Sternitz wrote....

(2) Isn't ALL tango improvisational? Not counting stage tango, again.

A great deal of social Tango appears to be improvised only insofar as
the dancers connect learned sequences in random order.  I continually
hear "you do this when I do that".  This is not what I understand
improvised Tango to be.  For me, improvisation is responding to the
music, your partner and your neighbours on the dance floor at every
beat of the music;  neither you nor your partner think about what is
coming next.  Every song is different, every dance is different.
Comments please?
John