[Tango-L] [SA] RE: San Diego close embrace Festival 2010

HBBOOGIE1@aol.com HBBOOGIE1 at aol.com
Wed Jan 6 17:14:44 EST 2010

The San Diego Festival was born out of the  Denver Close Embrace Festival.
I think Tom’s making a mistake by giving in to  the nuevo crowd. A lot of
traditional folks stayed away from his festival this  year and in the future I
think that number could grow. I don’t think there will  be enough nuevo
dancers willing to travel cross-country to support a San Diego  Festival. I don’
t think he can attract enough dancers from the San Diego and Los  Angeles
areas alone to support a festival.
My wife and I have discussed this  past festival to no end. One thing that
we’ve agreed on is that the nuevo  dancers that disrupted the floor only
numbered about 10 couples. If Tom would  have simply tapped them on the
shoulder and pointed out the inappropriate  behavior and given them the choice to
transfer to one of the alternative floors  available or leave, then 150 other
couples would have gotten what they paid for.
Hopefully, Tom will rethink how to get around this problem thus ensuring
that the San Diego Festival will be a success in the  future
David

In a message dated 1/6/2010 1:18:59 P.M. Pacific  Standard Time,
tempehuck at gmail.com writes:
On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 7:47 AM,  Tony Rathburn
<webmaster at tonyrathburn.com> wrote:
> In reading  the various comments and criticisms of the San Diego Tango
Festival, I make no  excuses for poor floor craft and bad navigation skills...
regardless of style of  dance...

> I am bothered by mis-information  however...
>
> I just took the time to revisit and review their  website...
>
> http://www.sandiegotangofestival.com/
>
>  Maybe I'm missing something, somewhere... but, I've visited and
carefully read  each page.  I can NOT find the term 'close embrace' used anywhere on
the  site...

You're looking at the "wrong" website,  so to speak.  The festival
organizer is Tom Stermitz, and his website is  as follows:

http://tango.org/2010sdfest

"The San Diego Tango Festivals are a special  treat for all tango
dancers who love the social tango popular in the milongas  of Buenos
Aires: close, subtle &  romantic."

This is exactly the same  verbiage Tom uses in his announcements
of all the Denver tango  festivals.  And Tango-L history buffs will
tell you that the Denver  tango festivals were originally spawned
specifically to provide a haven for  close embrace dancers tired of
going to festivals where fancy nuevo steps  were taught, and they
featured instructors dedicated to the close embrace  style.

Huck

Tango-L  mailing  list
Tango-L at mit.edu