[Tango-L] [SA] RE: San Diego close embrace Festival 2010

Huck Kennedy tempehuck at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 16:18:36 EST 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 7:47 AM, Tony Rathburn
<webmaster at tonyrathburn.com> wrote:
> In reading the various comments and criticisms of the San Diego Tango Festival, I make no excuses for poor floor craft and bad navigation skills... regardless of style of dance...
>
> I am bothered by mis-information however...
>
> I just took the time to revisit and review their website...
>
> http://www.sandiegotangofestival.com/
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, somewhere... but, I've visited and carefully read each page.  I can NOT find the term 'close embrace' used anywhere on the site...

     You're looking at the "wrong" website, so to speak.  The festival
organizer is Tom Stermitz, and his website is as follows:

     http://tango.org/2010sdfest

"The San Diego Tango Festivals are a special treat for all tango
dancers who love the social tango popular in the milongas of Buenos
Aires: close, subtle & romantic."

      This is exactly the same verbiage Tom uses in his announcements
of all the Denver tango festivals.  And Tango-L history buffs will
tell you that the Denver tango festivals were originally spawned
specifically to provide a haven for close embrace dancers tired of
going to festivals where fancy nuevo steps were taught, and they
featured instructors dedicated to the close embrace style.

Huck