[Tango-L] The dreaded back step

rhink2@netscape.net rhink2 at netscape.net
Wed Jan 6 12:45:15 EST 2010

This is a recurring topic on the List. If one googles "tango-l back
step", one will find many threads on this topic
(e.g.http://www.tango-l.com/archives/Tango-L/msg02236.html).

My understanding of the 8-count basic is that it's a school figure that
hits the four cardinal points on the compass among other things. Its
purpose is to help leaders lead and followers follow steps in those 4
directions.

At a milonga under "combat conditions", the leader almost never moves
counter to the line of dance and certainly not blindly with a back
step. Back steps for the leader in the line of dance are ok if the
leader has cleared the space (e.g. during a left turn). But even then
it's a risky move since the leader can't see what's behind him as he
steps back and the follower may have her eyes closed.

So why teach the back step in the first place given that in practice it
is seldom used? Some might argue that it's tradition or that for show
tango it is used. Also, there are a few patterns where back steps are
required. For example, the grapevine of milonga uses back steps albeit
with a pair of eyes (leader's of follower's) always looking down the
line of dance.

Personally I find the back step of the 8-count basic perfectly
acceptable since it is easily unlearned. If one thinks about shortening
the back step until it degenerates into a simple weight change onto the
leader's right foot, the back step magically turns into a normal
beginning of a tango sequence. I have never had a partner miss that
weight change. Indeed, followers almost seem to expect it.

Regarding non-traveling ochos, again these appear to be a school figure
for learning ochos (both forward and back) while leaning against a
wall. At a milonga, they are seldom used, unless done in corners of the
room, because they tend to obstruct the flow.

Bob