[Tango-L] More on close embrace festivals

Vince Bagusauskas vytis at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 6 05:24:47 EST 2010

With the talk of some dancers spoiling the close embrace San Diego tango
festival,  I thought this edited response to a question I had on the
advertised close embrace Phoenix tango festival is worthwhile relating:

"....... there is good and proper instruction. .... And  by setting a good
example in our dancing. We are not making this a "closed" event. We are not
planning on "controlling" the event. Rather we are trying to set the
exemplary stage for the softer and gentler side of tango close
embrace.............close embrace change the dancing in Denver and San Diego
and I dream of exposing Phoenix and Arizona to more of the softer close
embrace style of dancing...........come knowing this is not an closed elite
event but an opportunity to show those without as much exposure to close
embrace what they are missing. Hence my plan for a bit larger floor than
typical for close embrace."

So instead of excluding the gate crashers, seems that Phoenix wants to
expose and hopefully educate the masses to close embrace.

This is an interesting development don't you think?

Since the problems of bad dancing as related by this list seems to occur
mostly outside of BsAs, maybe more festivals should promote themselves as
"Close Embrace X Tango Festival", rather than just "X Tango Festival".

Vince
in Melbourne