[Tango-L] Review of the Milonga at Viejo Correo

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Sun Jan 3 11:04:21 EST 2010

As promised in my recent review of Práctica X, which is thought of as a
young, "modern" Milonga, here is a narration of my visit to Viejo
Correo, a very traditional milonga, by some measures at the other end of
the spectrum, the very next day.

There are actually several milongas at Viejo Correo, organized by
different people. This is the one on Wednesday nights, organized by
Jorge del Solar. Here is the logistical information:

"Matiné de Tango" at Viejo Correo (usually just called "Viejo Correo"),
organized by Jorge del Solar. Every Wednesday from 6 pm to 3 am (we got
there for the "night shift" at around 10:45 pm). (He also has milongas
at the same location on Fridays and Saturdays, but this review strictly
speaking only applies to the Wednesday milonga, since the weekend
milongas may have different dynamics.) Reservations: 15-6800-1277.
Address: Av Diaz Velez 4820 adjacent to the Parque Centenario (this is a
huge stadium-sized park, so you can't just tell the taxi driver to take
you to Parque Centenario and start walking around--you should know the
exact address and also that it is between streets Campichuelo and Otamendi).

Unlike my visit to Práctica X, where I went alone, I went to Viejo
Correo with two pretty Colombian tangueras. I had not been to Viejo
Correo for well over a year. "It's a very traditional milonga," I warned
my compañeras, but they were up for the adventure so off we went.

The salon is relatively long and quite narrow. The first thing you
notice upon entering is that the first half of the total space (closest
to the entrance) is occupied by several rows of tables for two,
stretching from the entrance to the dance floor. The left half has all
men from the entrance down to the dance floor; facing them off on the
right side are the women's tables. This is the "singles'" seating area
or, more accurately, the "available to dance with other people" seating
area. Both sides were about half full; the men's side had fewer people
than the women's. Everyone (on the singles' side at least) was in his
60s and 70s. The only thing missing to complete the picture was a heavy
cloud of smoke hanging over these tables (smoking has not been permitted
in Milongas in Buenos Aires for a while now). This "men and women facing
off" effect is more pronounced here than at any other traditional
milonga I can recall having been to--I can see how it could even be
intimidating if you're not used to it.

Then is the dance floor, which is smallish and tiled (and one corner of
which is occupied by an emblematic life-size statue of Carlos Gardel),
followed by another seating area, less than half the size of the first,
which is for couples and groups (who intend to dance amongst
themselves). There were fewer than a dozen people in this "couples and
groups" section.

Admission was $15 pesos each. Jorge greeted us at the door, and I
confirmed that we had a reservation. He was momentarily confused as he
had reserved a table for us in the group section, thinking we were going
to be two couples, but then (appropriately) accommodated us in the
singles' section (on the ladies' side) AFTER confirming that both the
girls would be dancing. This sounds like a lot of detail back-and-forth
on a seating location, but it's precisely this kind of attention to
detail that makes a good milonga host. That is why, at most traditional
milongas, the host is the one who greets and seats the guests (the
person who takes the money is well, the person who takes the money,
though not "just" the person who takes the money because very often they
have been working there for a long time and know all the clients by name
and greet them as well).

[An aside: Why did he seat us at the ladies side when there were more
empty tables on the men's side? The obvious-sounding answer is that
there were two women and one man in our group, but that's not really the
reason; there was one other couple who chose to be seated in the
singles' area (presumably since they wanted to dance with others) who
were also seated in the more-crowded women's side. There are at least
three reasons: (1) The girls were definitely going to be more
comfortable seated amongst the other women, with whom they could chat
occasionally (without feeling like they were being chatted up), rather
than having a feeling of "being in a lion's den" (I guess I was not
considered threatening enough to be considered a wolf among sheep, to
extend the animal kingdom metaphor ... need to work more on that
grizzled macho milonguero look, I guess :-)); (2) It would not have been
appropriate to force a woman to turn her head way to the side or even to
look behind herself to make eye contact (to cabecear) as it would make
her appear aggressive in seeking a partner; (3) When I got up and danced
with one of my companions, as I was surely going to be doing, there
would be, inappropriately, an "unprotected woman" on the men's side. So
the host seated us on the women's side (who said chivalry was dead?).]

As we sat down, one of the girls whispered to me, "Everyone's staring at
us!" (What she meant was that all of the men were staring at the two of
them, which I guess was true, though we did get some curious
did-they-walk-into-the-wrong-place type of glances all around.)

"Well," I whispered back, attempting to put her somewhat at ease, "They
probably want to dance with you ... cabeceo, you know."

"They are NOT doing cabeceo," she whispered back fiercely, "They're
STARING at us!"

A woman regular seated nearby, who didn't hear this exchange, but
probably sensed the gist of it, added helpfully, "Well, it's been a long
time since we've had niñas at this milonga, you know." [I would hasten
to add, in case anyone is wondering what I'm doing escorting niñas (a
term usually reserved for pre-adolescent girls) to milongas, that the
aforementioned "niñas" were quite solidly in their late 20s!]

Everyone settled down, though, and the staring stopped (as the cabeceos
started ...). Both Colombianas were good dancers, and they proved to be
quite popular (just as well that I had direct-asking privileges!). A
couple of men discreetly asked me "permission" to ask the one sitting
closer to me to dance, but others probably felt it was OK to skip this
nicety, perhaps because we had all chosen to sit on the singles' aside,
or perhaps because there were an odd number of us, or perhaps just
because they (correctly) assumed that I wasn't about to challenge them
to a knife-fight over it!

I danced with three women other than my two compañeras--one of whom was
really excellent. Another of the three was seated behind me and actually
asked me by signalling one of my compañeras to nudge me into asking her!

There was table service, with the usual selection of wines, champagnes
and mixed drinks available. Food was "comida rápida" only, i.e.,
empanadas (good), cheese/ham/olive plate (OK), toasted ham and cheese
sandwiches (OK - somewhat scant on the filling).

Music was (just as in Práctica X ...) 90% golden-age Tango. The
non-Tango-family tandas were chacarera, paso doble and rock 'n' roll
(rather than salsa as in Práctica X)). Lovers of non-traditional music
for dancing Tango will be gratified to know that even at such a
traditional milonga, they played Haris Alexiou's "To tango tis Nefelis"
(although it was towards the end of the milonga when there were just a
few couples left dancing).

Navigation? No one was doing anything wild or fast, and most people had
been dancing for many many years, so were well versed in navigation.
There were a few occasions of back steps against line of dance, but just
one back step at a time, and not a very long or fast or hard step, so
not hard to avoid. There were no dirty looks for bad navigation being
exchanged.

I had fun, the girls had fun (they certainly drank lots of champagne, if
that's a measure!), and we had a good mix of eating, drinking, chatting
and dancing. They reported that a couple of the dancers they danced with
were very good. The girls also reported receiving several marriage
proposals, two invitations for trips to Paris (well, from the same guy,
so maybe that just counts as one), and one invitation to dance as the
said gentleman's partner at the next Tango campeonato mundial. Those
were the invitations they told me about, anyway. :-)

In summary ...

What you get at Viejo Correo:
----------------------------
A traditional Milonga
Golden-age Tango music
Golden-age "regulars"
An opportunity to be called niña/o, jovencito/a, bombon, etc. (even if
you thought you no longer qualified ...)
Feeling of being in another time period
Made to feel welcomed
A Tango experience you cannot get in any other city in the world
Cabeceo
Piropos (and then some, apparently)

What you don't get at Viejo Correo:
Young dancers (unless you BYO :-))